DDoS mitigation for ISPs

Mike mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com
Thu Oct 29 15:42:31 UTC 2015

Hello,

     Is there any DDoS mitigation service provider that can scrub
traffic for an ISP network? I have an ASN and BGP and my own netblocks,
and I have a 1gbps pipe. I was thinking the scenario would be during
attack, we could bring up a tunnel and run bgp over it and advertise
some portion of our ip space thru it. I realise getting it setup while
attack is taking place would be a little hard and that we likely could
expect at least some down time. What we have seen so far has been
reflection attacks (dns and ssdp) and we have been able to do rate
limiting on these and other protocols to sane values. This has worked
well, although the primary risk is once the traffic flow exceeds the
link capacity such limiting won't have any net effect. But if we could
farm this out during times of trouble to a mitigation services provider,
they could advertise our block(s) and rate limit and scrub for us and
send us the result, it would be a far better than what we have now
(which is effectively nothing). I asked cloudflare this and they stated
they are focused on web traffic. My upstream can't help me, doesn't
support RTBH and won't install filters anyways unless it's impacting
THEIR network. Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas (short of
ditching my provider, which I also can't do due at this time due to lack
of competitive choice).

Mike-