speedtest vs geo-coding IP info

lorell at hathcock.org lorell at hathcock.org
Wed Oct 28 21:06:30 UTC 2015

Legions of NANOG:

Here's an interesting problem.

My customers are running speedtests from Ookla's speedtest.net site.  The
default site is in Kansas and not in Texas where we receive our internet
connection.

Questions:

1.       How do I go about viewing the geo-coded data that accompanies my IP
addresses?  This is obviously a database that is kept for geo-coding
purposes.  The whois info for the block in question traces back to a
superblock formerly owned by PSINet, Inc and has a Washington, DC address.
I conclude that the geo-coding used by speedtest.net is not from the whois
database.

2.       If I pestered my carrier to SWIP the IP address block to me (as
they should have?) would that help me solve my problem?

3.       Is there anything else I need to be thinking of that would help me
have better control of my geo-coding info?  Are there third-party self sign
up/volunteer database which house geo-coding info?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Lorell Hathcock

Chief Technology Officer

SolStar Network, LLC

Communications

FIBER - VOIP - SECURITY - TV

FTTH - Commercial - Residential

Burglar - Access Control

956-478-5955 (cell) - 956-316-4090 (main)

 <mailto:lorell at SolStarNetwork.com> lorell at SolStarNetwork.com

 <http://www.solstarnetwork.com/> www.SolStarNetwork.com

TX License #B19998