NANOG list attack

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Mon Oct 26 22:00:55 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 03:17:37PM -0400, Larry Blunk wrote:
>    Just wanted to apologize for the attack over the weekend.  The
> posts came from a email address that was subscribed to the list, so
> it was not subjected to moderation.  While a filter was added
> to block further posts (which were made in a short time window),
> there were existing message queues that were not cleared in a
> timely basis.
>
>   As Job Snijders (a fellow Communications Committee member) noted
> in an earlier post, we will be implementing some additional protection
> mechanisms to prevent this style of incident from happening again. We
> will be more aggressively moderating posts from addresses who have
> not posted recently, in addition to other filtering mechanisms.

To add to that: several people reached out off-list, offering help and
recommendations. We'll be following those up in the next few days. Thank
you for your support!

Some people found the admins at nanog.org readership unresponsive, but I
assure you this is not the case under normal circumstances. The admins
mail distribution was clogged up for the same reasons as the main list.
We'll work on improving our reachability.

Kind regards,

Job