The spam is real

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 19:25:43 UTC 2015

On 10/26/15 1:10 PM, Pablo Lucena wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 12:22 AM, Josh Luthman <josh at imaginenetworksllc.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Can we please get a filter for messages with the subject "Fw: new message"
>> ???
>>

> ​So far I've dealt with it via Gmail's 'mute conversation' setting somewhat
> effectively.​

Gmail was smart enough to put those addressed directly to me
into the spam folder -- and let those via nanog through.  It's
been trained well!

Let's look at this as an opportunity.  We have a relatively
small set of websites that have been corrupted with additional
links (presumably unknown to the owner), that then redirect
one or more times.

What's the exploit that corrupted the sites?

Have the site owners been contacted?

All the sites that I checked (without the added suffix) seem
legit.  But maybe they are spammer sites?  How do we know?