the crap mail flood and the nanog culture

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Oct 26 17:56:22 UTC 2015

> On Oct 25, 2015, at 6:22 PM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
>
> you might think that with all the committees, boards, badges, ... that
> there was an actual operator in the nanog resume building circle who
> would actually do something useful about the crap mail flood now into
> its second day.

I’ll certainly say this was frustrating for me.  I got a fair amount via NANOG and a fair amount directly as well all with an easy pattern to mitigate.

It took me until today to realize that the list was still working and did not dump me for rejecting all the messages at the SMTP layer.

My understanding is that only one person has access to the mail server to put it in emergency mode or mitigate the damage.  Perhaps someone can post the escalation policy for the list somewhere so it can be mitigated faster next time?

- Jared