Current IPv4 Options

Daniel Corbe dcorbe at hammerfiber.com
Thu Oct 22 00:50:17 UTC 2015

Chris Knipe <savage at savage.za.org> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 4:24 PM, Clay Curtis <clay584 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I work for a VAR and we are starting to have customers come to us to help
>> with internet redundancy projects and they are unable to get address space
>> from ARIN.  What are the viable options here?  I have read about secondary
>> markets, transfers, auction sites, leasing, etc.  Can NANOG point me in the
>> right direction as to the most effective way to get v4 space right now in
>> the US?  And before we get into the whole IPv6 discussion, yes, yes, we are
>> discussing this with customers as well.  That being said, they still need
>> the IPv4 space in the near-term.
>>

> Sitting in exactly the same position.  IPv6 is great and all, but running
> my business natively on IPv6 means nothing to me if my customers can't
> reach me.

AFAIK you can still receive as much as a /24 from ARIN if you qualify
under section 4.10.  If you've already got PA space from ARIN then you
need to start hiding things behind NAT pools and load balancers.

In order to receive an allocation or assignment under this policy:

1. the applicant may not have received resources under this policy in
the preceding six months;

2. previous allocations/assignments under this policy must continue to
meet the justification requirements of this policy;

3. previous allocations/assignments under this policy must meet the
utilization requirements of end user assignments;

4. the applicant must demonstrate that no other allocations or
assignments will meet this need;

5. on subsequent allocation under this policy, ARIN staff may require
applicants to renumber out of previously allocated / assigned space
under this policy in order to minimize non-contiguous allocations.