Google's peering, GGC, and congestion management

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Oct 16 06:19:38 UTC 2015

On 15/Oct/15 16:35, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

> > > Remember, they control the servers. All CDNs (that matter) can do
> > > this. They can re-direct users with different URLs, different DNS

Of course, some other CDN's don't use DNS, and instead use BGP by
Anycasting target IP addresses locally. Of course, the challenge with
this is that those CDN's need to have their own IP addresses in the
markets they serve, while the DNS-based CDN's can use IP addresses of
the local network with whom they host.

I find the latter easier for ISP's, but I'm sure many of the CDN's find
the former easier for them, particularly with the lack of IPv4 space in
all but one region.

Mark.