Google's peering, GGC, and congestion management

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 19:50:30 UTC 2015

On 15 October 2015 at 16:35, Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick at ianai.net> wrote:

> The 100% number is silly. My guess? They’re at 98%.
>
> That is easily do-able because all the traffic is coming from them.
> Coordinate the HTTPd on each of the servers to serve traffic at X bytes per
> second, ensure you have enough buffer in the switches for micro-bursts,
> check the NICs for silliness such as jitter, and so on. It is non-trivial,
> but definitely solvable.

You would not need to control the servers to do this. All you need is the
usual hash function of src+dst ip+port to map sessions into buckets and
then dynamically compute how big a fraction of the buckets to route through
a different path.

A bit surprising that this is not a standard feature on routers.

Regards,

Baldur