/27 the new /24

Royce Williams royce at techsolvency.com
Mon Oct 12 15:48:55 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 7:23 AM, Todd Underwood <toddunder at gmail.com> wrote:

> it's also not entirely obvious what the point of having local IXes
> that serve these kinds of collections of people.
>
> how much inter-ASN traffic is there generally for a city of 100k
> people, even if they all have 1Gb/s connections?  are they all
> torrenting, accessing local business web pages that are hosted
> locally, streaming video from local streaming caches?  if a local IX
> is a good place for a llnw, akamai, ggc, netflix cache node, i can see
> it, but that's about it.

They are microcosms of larger areas - think gamers, B2B, local
support/RDP, etc.  When there's ~25ms extra latency ANC<->SEA, every
little bit helps.

It also lets us function locally when there are major external outages.

Finally, there's a psychological benefit. It drove me nuts to have my
traffic shipped to Seattle to end up literally one block away.  :)
It's like when I tracked my Macbook from China -- stopping briefly in
its palletized/containerized form in Anchorage on its way to Kentucky
(UPS distribution), and then back to Anchorage ... days later. :)

Royce