/27 the new /24

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Fri Oct 9 02:11:03 UTC 2015

On 10/08/2015 05:50 PM, Ricky Beam wrote:
> You are an ISP. You don't get to say "NO!" to IPv6. It is what the
> global internet is moving towards. You _WILL_ support it, or you will be
> left behind, and your customers who have little or no other options will
> suffer for it.

ISP == "Internet Service Provider".  The key word here is "service".
tiedyenetworks.com is a provider of services to customers, and I suspect
those are retail customers.  What he just told you is that the service
he provides, in his experience, does not play well with IPv6 AS
CURRENTLY IMPLEMENTED IN AVAILABLE EQUIPMENT.  On the one hand, IPv6 is
"the future" (I just invested a fair amount of cred to get the books
recommended to me here on NANOG to get up to speed) but like early
versions of just about every thing and every product, there are still a
few potholes.

tiedyenetworks.com, from my reading of this thread, has elected to limit
his service offerings to his customers that he can reasonably support.
That's good, solid business sense.  Nothing is worse than providing a
product that does not work as expected or advertised.  VW, anyone?

> (windows and mac generate multicast by default)

And unless there is a damn good need for that multicast traffic, it gets
blocked.  From my edge network, I block multicasts and broadcasts both
inbound and outbound.  When I was network admin for the web hosting
company I worked for, I also blocked a number of ports at my edge, ports
that had no business being used in the general case.  I had *one*
customer that needed to come in using 3309; I punched a hole in the ACLs
for that one customer, and damn carefully.

> This is just *your* flawed perception. Have you bothered to be an
> engineer and figure out _WHY_ it doesn't work?

Maybe you missed his earlier declaration:  "I'm a provider, not a
developer."  He expects the equipment to work.  It doesn't.  Did he ask
his vendor?  I don't know, but my personal experience with
wireless-equipment vendors is not encouraging.  Some people don't have
the money, resources, or time to winkle out all the wrinkles, so they go
with what works in their situation.  Consider the rural market:  damn
few customers, so $150K engineers are out of the question.

> I run IPv6 over my 802.11a/b/g/n networks; no one has even noticed!
> (even with Truly Ancient Hardware(tm))

That's your experience.  He has a different experience.  I suspect your
customer base is considerably more dense than tiedyenetwork.com's base.
  Did you say you are primarily a rural provider?  Mike did.  Your
earlier traffic suggests your base of operations is more in a city or
suburban environment.  Apples and oranges, if true.