/27 the new /24

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 00:50:23 UTC 2015

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 18:45:38 -0400, Mike <mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com>
wrote:
> WE DO NOT HAVE realistic choices.

Or, apparently, realistic expectations.

You, do, indeed, deserve public shaming for your complete lack of
willingness to support IPv6. Your customers have no "realistic choices"
either. How many other ISPs do they have to choice from? If you cannot be
bothered to support IPv6, how are they supposed to? ("use a tunnel broker"
is the *WRONG* answer)

You are an ISP. You don't get to say "NO!" to IPv6. It is what the global
internet is moving towards. You _WILL_ support it, or you will be left
behind, and your customers who have little or no other options will suffer
for it.

https://youtu.be/g1GF4Gnb-D0

>> I can't remember the last time I saw a site stall due to reaching it
>> over IPv6 it is that long ago.
>
> It happens every day for me, which only amplifies my perception that v6
> IS NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME.

This is just *your* flawed perception. Have you bothered to be an engineer
and figure out _WHY_ it doesn't work? Or do you like keeping your head in
the sand mumbling "it's not my job"?

>>> Thirdly, some parts of my network are
>>> wireless, and multicast ...
> Based on observation and experience, I think v6 will wipe out the 802.11

If you are providing customer access via 802.11 technology, then yes, you
do have a serious problem. But it's a problem you already have with v4 as
well... or do you block _ALL_ broadcast traffic from your 802.11 network?
Have you checked those networks, because I'm pretty sure there's multicast
on them already. (windows and mac generate multicast by default)

My experience shows multicast is a problem for 99% of WiFi gear. It's
handled like all other broadcast and sent at "basic rate" to all stations,
which is going to be slow as crap. However, IPv6 ND (and RAs) do not
amount to a volume that will, under normal conditions, kill a WiFi
network. I run IPv6 over my 802.11a/b/g/n networks; no one has even
noticed! (even with Truly Ancient Hardware(tm))

--Ricky