/27 the new /24

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Wed Oct 7 14:16:42 UTC 2015

On 10/07/2015 06:29 AM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>> On Oct 7, 2015, at 5:01 AM, Owen DeLong<owen at delong.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Instead, the followup question is needed… “That’s great, but how
>>> does that help me reach a web site that doesn’t have and can’t get an
>>> IPv4 address?”
>>
> At the present time, a web site that doesn't have and can't get an IPv4 address isn't "on the Internet".

Boy, this is drifting rather badly from the NANOG charter.

That said, let be disabuse you of a notion:   if someone wants to put up
a web site, it's very, very easy to find a place that can provide an
IPv4 IP address for the service.  It won't be a *private* IPv4 address,
but...  Frankly, there are plenty of Web hosts that provide the service.
  Not good enough?  Try using a cloud service to host your private WWW
server.

Still not good enough?  Use a Web host and its IPv4 access to layer-7
proxy your IPv6-only web site.  Finding a Web hosting company with IPv6
support is a little more effort.  Start with this list:
https://www.sixxs.net/wiki/IPv6_Enabled_Hosting

When I was working for a Web hosting company, along with 60 or so
shared-hosting servers, we had one monster CPanel server (offering
dirt-cheap low-performance hosting) with more than 1,000 sites on it,
served by a single IP address.