/27 the new /24

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Wed Oct 7 14:06:33 UTC 2015

On 7 Oct 2015, at 9:29, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

>> On Oct 7, 2015, at 5:01 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>>
>> Instead, the followup question is needed… “That’s great, but
>> how does that help me reach a web site that doesn’t have and
>> can’t get an IPv4 address?”
>
> At the present time, a web site that doesn't have and can't get an
> IPv4 address isn't "on the Internet".

By the only definition of the Internet that matters, the function "is on
the Internet" is very much in the eye of the beholder.

Using this definition, v6-only services are most certainly "on the
Internet" for people who have v6 connectivity. Similarly, various
instances of the Pirate Bay that have v4 reachability are not "on the
Internet" for end-users in draconian jurisdictions like the UK. Trying
to make assertions about what "on the Internet" means in a general,
global sense is an effort doomed to failure.

I realise you're talking in pragmatic terms about services that have a
general, dispersed, global end-user population, but not all services are
like that.

Joe

[1] Internet, n: “the largest equivalence class in the reflexive
transitive symmetric closure of the relationship ‘can be reached by an
IP packet from’” (Seth Breidbart)