/27 the new /24

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Oct 7 11:56:45 UTC 2015

> On Oct 4, 2015, at 7:52 AM, Mel Beckman <mel at beckman.org> wrote:
>
> If it doesn't support IPSec, it's not really IPv6. Just as if it failed to support any other mandatory IPv6 specification, such as RA.

Not true. IPSec is recommended, not mandatory.

This change was made in favor of resource constrained nodes (think micro controllers with very small memories).

> There's really no excuse for not supporting IPSec, as it's a widely available open source component that costs nothing to incorporate into an IPv6 stack.

Simply not true. There are nodes which have no need for it and are resource constrained.

> Your observation simply means that users must be informed when buying IPv6 devices, just as they must with any product. You can buy either genuine IPv6 or half-baked IPv6 products. When I speak of IPv6, I speak only of the genuine article.

This is true. If you need the device to support IPv6, you should definitely make sure that it does, but that is ordinary reality with any feature of any product rather than anything specific to IPv6.

Owen