[outages] Akamai Cert Issues today

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Oct 4 18:42:05 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> From: "coolhandluke via Outages" <outages at outages.org>

> > -We're wondering what happened yesterday to break all these
> > disparate
> > websites

> note that this is *by design*, as sean pointed out.
>
> the "fix" is simple: don't use https on www.irs.gov. any ssl pages
> served by the irs as served on different hostnames.
>
> as to why your users just started it, nfi. my best guess is that they
> weren't using https previously.

Well, "more people may be using HTTPS-Anywhere" may have something to
do with it.

Or, it might be that some new browser release just enabled HTTP/2.0, which
in many implementations *requires* SSL and might also trip this, as noted
in a posting on the topic which I just inadvertantly posted to this same
mailing list 5 minutes ago.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra