How to force rapid ipv6 adoption

Hugo Slabbert hugo at slabnet.com
Fri Oct 2 20:51:42 UTC 2015

On Fri 2015-Oct-02 09:43:40 -0700, Hugo Slabbert <hugo at slabnet.com> wrote:

>My apologies; missed the anchor for some reason and just got the top bits of the doc.
>--
>Hugo
>hugo at slabnet.com: email, xmpp/jabber
>also on TextSecure & RedPhone
>
>---- From: Damian Menscher <damian at google.com> -- Sent: 2015-10-02 - 08:45 ----
>
>> On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 8:54 PM, Hugo Slabbert <hugo at slabnet.com> wrote:

>>> Squeezing 32 bits into 128 bits is easy.  Let me know how you do with
>>> squeezing 128 bits into 32 bits...
>>>

>> I did just fine, thanks.  (You may want to read the link again.... ;)

Out of curiosity, the method you describe is lossy, though, no?  It is
basically just intended to ensure that we don't break the database or
application when we write an IPv6 address into it because it can only
handle an IPv4 value.  I appreciate the hack & know you have a disclaimer
on there of "only for logging, not routing," but "squeezing 128 bits of
address data into a 32 bit field" is a bit of a stretch to describe a
process that takes 128 bits, discards 64 of them, and then hashes the
remaining 64 bits into 29 bits, no?

--
Hugo