How to force rapid ipv6 adoption

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Oct 2 07:45:33 UTC 2015

On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 00:16:50 -0000, Todd Underwood said:

> yes.  huh.  funny about that, right?  what do you think accounts for that?
>  *why* do you think that *17* *years* later people are still just barely
> using this thing.

The fact that dumping too much CO2 into the atmosphere is a Bad Idea
was equally well understood 17 years ago.

And yet we *still* have Senators with snowballs denying it.

> so here's my view:  if you have some technical solution for a networking
> problem that no one wants for 17 years, you should really probably think
> about that.  you might not even have to wait 17 years to figure out that
> something might be wrong.

See RFC1335.  The problem was recognized back in 1992 - which is why the
IETF chartered the whole IPng thing.  Some of us recognized it would be
less painful to get things working sooner rather than later - and some
didn't.

Now, if you want to be the Senator with the snowball, be my guest. It
may make for interesting TV, but I can hardly recommend it as a busines
model.