How to force rapid ipv6 adoption

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Oct 2 03:30:56 UTC 2015

In message <2BB18527-2F9C-4FEE-95DD-3F89919A8049 at xyonet.com>, Curtis Maurand wr
ites:
> If Time Warner (my ISP) put up IPv6  tomorrow, my firewall would no longer wo
> rk.  I could put up a pfsnse or vyatta  box pretty quickly, but my off the sh
> elf Cisco/Linksys  home router has no ipv6 support hence the need to replace
> the hardware.  There's no firmware update for it supporting ipv6 either.  The
> re would be millions of people in the same boat.

Total garbage that *everyone* here should recognise as total garbage.
If Time Warner turned on IPv6 your firewall would just continue to
work as it always has.  TURNING ON IPv6 DOES NOT TURN OFF IPV4.

As for millions of people needing to upgrade their CPE equipement
you really should be asking yourself if you should be rewarding
those vendors for selling you IPv4 only equipement in the first
place.  If Microsoft, along with lots of other vendors could deliver
IPv6 capable equipment in 2001, your and every other CPE vendor
could have done so.  Instead they sold you out of date garbage that
you happily accepted.

Mark

Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org