How to force rapid ipv6 adoption

Tony Wicks tony at wicks.co.nz
Fri Oct 2 00:45:22 UTC 2015

> That sounds like only using 6to4 addresses until the entire internet
supports IPv6.
> Unfortunately there were NEVER enough IPv4 addresses to actually do that.
We
> were effectively out of IPv4 addresses before we started.

People tend to forget that TCP/IP was not the only routing protocol out
there all those years ago. What if OSI or one of the others had prospered
instead ? IPv4 kind of morphed into the Internet as we know it more it more
from good luck than good planning I would say. Things could have been a lot
worse !

To name a few - IPX, X25, Banyan Vines, DECnet and even Appletalk! Ovbiously
many of these could not grow into the "internet" but.....