How to force rapid ipv6 adoption

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Oct 1 21:51:53 UTC 2015

> On Oct 1, 2015, at 13:55 , Grzegorz Janoszka <Grzegorz at Janoszka.pl> wrote:
>
> On 2015-10-01 20:29, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> However, I think eventually the residential ISPs are going to start charging extra
>> for IPv4 service.
>
> ISP's will not charge too much. With too expensive IPv4 many customers will migrate from v4/dual stack to v6-only and ISP's will be left with unused IPv4 addresses and less income.

Nope… They’ll be left with unused IPv4 addresses which is not a significant source of income and they’ll be able to significantly reduce the costs incurred
in supporting things like CGNAT.

> Will ISP's still find other profitable usage for v4 addresses? If not, they will be probably be quite slowly rising IPv4 pricing, not wanting to overprice it.

Probably they will sell it to business customers instead of the residential customers. However, we’re talking about relatively large numbers of customers
for relatively small numbers of IPv4 addresses that aren’t producing revenue directly at this time anyway.

> Even with $1/IPv4/month - what will be the ROI of a brand new home router?

About 2.5 years at that price since a brand new home router is about $29.

Owen