How to force rapid ipv6 adoption

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 07:39:33 UTC 2015

On 1 October 2015 at 03:26, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> Windows XP does IPv6 fine so long as there is a IPv4 recursive
> server available.  It's just a simple command to install IPv6.
>
>         netsh interface ipv6 install

If the customer knew how to do that he wouldn't still be using Windows XP.

> Actually I don't expect Gmail and Facebook to be IPv4 only forever.

Gmail and Facebook are already dual stack enabled. But I do not see
Facebook turning off IPv4 for a very long time. Therefore a customer that
only uses the Internet for a few basic things will be able to get along
with being IPv4-only for a very long time.

IPv6 has no killer feature for this customer segment. They will be upgraded
the next time they move and get new equipment. Otherwise they will stay
with what they got until the retirement home.

Regards,

Baldur