DHCPv6 PD & Routing Questions

Jim Burwell jimb at jsbc.cc
Sat Nov 21 23:27:41 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-21 05:08, Dave Taht wrote:
> y'all might want to look over the work of the ietf homenet working
> group for some insight into plans for dhcp-pd, and routing
> interactions, in the home and small business, at least.
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/wg/homenet/
>
> some dhcpv6 specific info is spread around using the new hncp protocol.
>
> blatant plug - https://github.com/sbyx/odhcp6c is now the best open
> source dhcpv6 (and pd) client "out there" right now IMHO.
> Dave Täht
> Let's go make home routers and wifi faster! With better software!
> https://www.gofundme.com/savewifi
>

> On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Frederik Kriewitz
> <frederik at kriewitz.eu> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 10:35 PM, Jim Burwell <jimb at jsbc.cc> wrote:
>>> 2) What are the most common ways of managing the routing of delegated
>>> prefixes in the ISPs routing domain?  Has a standard method/best
>>> practice emerged yet?  Routing protocols?  IPv6 RAs?
>>>
>>> One obvious answer would be routing protocols.  In my brief googling,
>>> I've seen a forum post that seems to indicate that Comcast makes use of
>>> RIPng on their CPE to propagate routing information for prefixes
>>> delegated to it.  Can someone confirm this?  This would seem as good a
>>> method as any to do this, albeit with obvious security concerns.
>> We've build a small tool which watches the dhcpd6 lease file for
>> changes and injects the PD routes using exabgp (iBGP session with
>> corresponding IA_NA address as next-hop for the IA_PD prefix).
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Frederik Kriewitz
Thanks for all the replies.

The gist I get is that no real SOP/BCP has emerged yet for doing this,
and everyone is home-brewing their own methods.

One of the other reasons I ask is because I was experimenting with
Comcast Business IPv6.  I was sent a cable modem that could do
dual-stack and did PD.  But it seemed really broken.  It would only
assign a /64, and never routed anything it assigned back to the head end
as far as I could see through the customer interface.  I was told that
the firmware was broken.

- Jim