bad announcement taxonomy

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Nov 18 14:40:27 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 8:50 AM, Mattia Rossi
<mattia.rossi.mailinglists at gmail.com> wrote:
> So probably it should be structured like this:
>
>               _________ leak
>             /
> hijack ----------------- mis-origination (which should be better described
> as: I originate P when I don't have the right to)
>            \__________ origin scrubbing (I like that)
>
> It's a hijack (the result)  in any case. If you want to differentiate
> between malice and stupidity/ignorance just call it "malicious hijack"
> opposed to  "accidental hijack". And then list the cause (leak,
> mis-origination, origin scrubbing)

Hi Mat,

I object to jargon on general principle. Excessive jargon makes
technical disciplines needlessly inaccessible to folks who aren't
steeped in the lore.

Now and then there's a concept of such routine utility within the
discipline that it's worth abbreviating into a word or short phrase.
In that case, words that imply the concept are a good choice. Route
Hijack is a good example of this.

Creating jargon down in the weeds, though, that's a bad thing. Unwise.
Something to be deliberately avoided.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us