DNSSEC and ISPs faking DNS responses

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Nov 14 04:32:10 UTC 2015

> On Nov 13, 2015, at 19:27 , Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:
>
> On 14 Nov 2015, at 10:22, Owen DeLong wrote:
>
>> Surely time will tell, but I would not be so quick to dismiss this as a potential workaround after watching how quickly TOR was adopted to move video around during the Arab Spring.
>
> By a tiny minority of people.
>
> Selection bias.
>
> Most people do not know what a 'VPN' is, or how to install one and get it working.  The number of people who do may increase somewhat over time due to various restrictions they seek to overcome, but it will never become anything close to the norm unless it is a default.

20 years ago, most people didn’t know what a URL or a Domain name was.

18 years ago, they were on every billboard.

People learn stuff as they need to.

Today, the vast majority of people don’t need to know what a VPN is.

New Zealand has become a notable exception to this situation as a result of their desire to watch US Netflix programming.

I see no reason to believe it would be

> Go out onto the street and ask a selection of random passers-by if they know what a VPN is, if they know how to install one, if they've installed one.

Not a valid test… Go out onto the street and ask a random number of people over 30 if they know what a URL is and how to enter one into a browser.

Now, ask if they learned that more or less than 20 years ago.

In 1930, nobody knew what a television was, let alone a television remote control. Today, the average 6 year old can operate a DirectTV satellite system with a relatively high degree of facility.

What the average person knows changes over time. Assuming that it does not strikes me as either (1) ignoring history or (2) underestimating the general public even more than I do, which is saying something.

Owen