DNSSEC and ISPs faking DNS responses

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Nov 14 03:22:39 UTC 2015

> On Nov 13, 2015, at 19:09 , Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:
>
> On 14 Nov 2015, at 10:02, John Levine wrote:
>
>> People in New Zealand said differently.
>
> This is a corner-case, however.

Is it really a corner-case, or, is it the first representation of  a group of ordinary netizens sufficiently frustrated by policy that they found a workaround?

If it’s a corner-case, it’s unlikely to get replicated by a similar level of frustration among a different group of netizens.

OTOH, if, as I suspect, it’s merely the first (or first known to us) example of such behavior, then it may be more of a predictive result than a corner case.

Every trend starts somewhere. Today, gamblers in Quebec don’t need to work around government stupidity, they can just go gamble. If the government truly manages to implement the proposed stupidity, that might serve as enough motivation to duplicate the “New Zealand Netflix Effect” in Quebec.

Surely time will tell, but I would not be so quick to dismiss this as a potential workaround after watching how quickly TOR was adopted to move video around during the Arab Spring.

Owen