Google Captcha on web searches

Hugo Slabbert hugo at slabnet.com
Tue Nov 10 17:47:41 UTC 2015

On Tue 2015-Nov-10 09:28:09 -0800, Joseph Jenkins <joe at breathe-underwater.com> wrote:

>We started getting a Google Captcha for our web searches this morning. Does anyone have contact info for Google so that I can contact them and figure out where the traffic is coming from on my side or what service it is going to so that I can track down the users?

Out of curiosity: Is this happening with IPv6-capable hosts?  We've had
instances where Google flags our dual stack hosts and pops up Captcha's
like you're reporting when connecting via v6, but where we've never had
problems accessing their services from the same host(s) over v4.  Flipping
the affected host's browser over to using v4 using a browser extension
let's them access Google services again.

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/86640?hl=en is too
generic/vague to give any specifics of why Google decided the user's v6 IP
is put on the nasty list (or even whether it's their IP specifically or
something larger like a /64).

--
Hugo

hugo at slabnet.com: email, xmpp/jabber
PGP fingerprint (B178313E):
CF18 15FA 9FE4 0CD1 2319 1D77 9AB1 0FFD B178 313E

(also on Signal)