AWS Elastic IP architecture

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun May 31 00:35:24 UTC 2015

> On May 30, 2015, at 8:38 AM, Andras Toth <diosbejgli at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Perhaps if that energy which was spent on raging, instead was spent on
> a Google search, then all those words would've been unnecessary.
>
> As it turns out that IPv6 is already available on ELBs since 2011:
> https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/elastic-load-balancing-ipv6-zone-apex-support-additional-security/ <https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/elastic-load-balancing-ipv6-zone-apex-support-additional-security/>

See other posts… ELB is being phased out and works only with EC2 and classic. As I said, it does not work with modern Amazon VPC.

> Official documentation:
> http://docs.aws.amazon.com/ElasticLoadBalancing/latest/DeveloperGuide/elb-internet-facing-load-balancers.html#internet-facing-ip-addresses <http://docs.aws.amazon.com/ElasticLoadBalancing/latest/DeveloperGuide/elb-internet-facing-load-balancers.html#internet-facing-ip-addresses>

All well and good and equally irrelevant.

> Netflix is using it already as per their techblog since 2012:
> http://techblog.netflix.com/2012/07/enabling-support-for-ipv6.html <http://techblog.netflix.com/2012/07/enabling-support-for-ipv6.html>

Yes… This token checkbox effort which doesn’t work unless you are running on old hosts without access to any current storage technologies and face other limitations is available.

My statements stand, as far as I am concerned.

Owen