AWS Elastic IP architecture

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat May 30 01:04:25 UTC 2015

> On May 29, 2015, at 8:23 AM, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 3:45 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, if it were LISP, they could probably handle IPv6.
>
> why can't they do v6 with any other encap?

That’s not my point.

> the encap really doesn't matter at all to the underlying ip protocol
> used, or shouldn't... you decide at the entrance to the 'virtual
> network' that 'thingy is in virtual-network-5 and encap the packet...
> regardless of ip version of the thing you are encapsulating.

Whatever encapsulation or other system they are using, clearly they can’t do IPv6 for some reason because they outright refuse to even offer so much as a verification that IPv6 is on any sort of roadmap or is at all likely to be considered for deployment any time in the foreseeable future.

So, my point wasn’t that LISP is the only encapsulation that supports IPv6. Indeed, I didn’t even say that. What I said was that their apparent complete inability to do IPv6 makes it unlikely that they are using an IPv6-capable encapsulation system. Thus, it is unlikely they are using LISP. I only referenced LISP because it was specifically mentioned by the poster to whom I was responding.

Please try to avoid putting words in my mouth in the future.

Owen