stacking pdu

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Fri May 29 21:48:16 UTC 2015

On 05/29/2015 05:29 PM, William Herrin wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 4:32 PM, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there a way to stack PDUs? like, with 30A 220, we need more plugs
>> than power but I'd like them to communicate to make sure we don't over
>> power the circuit. Do any APC or Triplite systems support this?
>
> Isn't it against the NEC and the fire code to stack power strips? We
> all do it, but isn't it against code?

It sounds like he's asking for a PDU specifically intended to be used
with managed expansion/stacking type modules.  That would be permissible
per NEC and most local fire codes as the device would be specifically
listed for such usage.  I've seen something like this inside
blade/modular racks like IBM Flex systems, but unfortunately I don't
know of any such off-the-shelf parts.

It would seem entirely reasonable to take a 30A/240V feed on a 6-30 or
14-30 type connection and break it out to numerous either C13 or
6-15/5-15 style sockets, possibly on a modular basis using some sort of
proprietary power+data connections for the breakout.  E.g. if you needed
to mix 120V and 240V devices in a rack, you could get 5-15 and 6-15
breakouts with each individual outlet switched and maintain whole-rack
metering.

Sounds like a really handy device, if one exists COTS.
--
Brandon Martin