AWS Elastic IP architecture

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 29 15:27:09 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 4:22 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> Why do you assume some encap/decap process somewhere in this process?

why do you think they have a single 10/8 deployment per location and
not per customer? if it' sper customer, they have to provide some
encap (I'd think) to avoid lots and lots of headaches. I don't imagine
that if aws/ec2 is 'millions of customers' running on 'cheapest
ethernet reference platform possible' they can do much fancy stuff
with respect to virtual networking. I'd expect almost all of that to
have to happen at the vm-host (not the guest), and that there's just
some very simple encapsulation of traffic from the 'edge' to the
vm-host and then 'native' (for some sense of that word) up to the
'vm'.