Password storage (was Re: gmail security is a joke)

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 28 14:08:44 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 5:29 AM, Robert Kisteleki <robert at ripe.net> wrote:

>> Bcrypt or PBKDF2 with random salts per password is really what anyone
>> storing passwords should be using today.
>
> Indeed. A while ago I had a brainfart and presented it in a draft:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kistel-encrypted-password-storage-00
>
> It seemed like a good idea at the time :-) It didn't gain much traction though.

I get the feeling that, along with things like 'email address
verification' in javascript form things, passwd storage and management
is something done via a few (or a bunch of crappy home-grown) code
bases.

Seems like 'find the common/most-used' ones and fix them would get
some mileage? I don't imagine that 'dlink' (for example) is big on
following rfc stuff for their web-interface programming? (well, at
least for things like 'how should we store passwds?')