Peering and Network Cost

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat May 23 17:23:29 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Dave Taht" <dave.taht at gmail.com>

> Two things I am curious about are 1) What is the measured benefit of
> moving a netflix server into your local ISP network
>
> and 2) does anyone measure "cross town latency". If we lived in a
> world where skype/voip/etc transited the local town only,
> what sort of latencies would be see within an ISP and within a
> cross-connect from, say a gfiber to a comcast?
>
> Once upon a time I'd heard that most phone calls were within 6 miles
> of the person's home, but I don't remember the breakdown of those call
> percentages (?), and certainly the old-style phone system was
> achieving very low latencies for those kinds of traffic.

The lack of decent geographic locality of reference on the Internet has
bothered me for some time; it's often presented as an *effect* of the
eyeballs/servers nature of the net, but I'm not at all sure it's not more
a cause of it -- at least at this late date.

The problem, of course, is that carriers make money off transit; it's not in
their commercial best interest to unload those links; it's very similar to
the reason my best friend's second semester pre-law textbooks cost her nearly
$1000; the people selecting them have no interest in the price, since they
don't pay it.

Cheers,
-- jra