Recommended 10GE ISCSI SAN switch

Randy Carpenter rcarpen at network1.net
Tue May 12 15:42:26 UTC 2015

----- On May 12, 2015, at 9:36 AM, Paul S. contact at winterei.se wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> We're shortly going to be getting some 10G SANs, and I was wondering
> what people were using as SAN switches for 10G SANs.
>
> It is my understanding that low buffer sizes make most 'normal' 10G
> ethernet switches unsuitable for the job.
>
> We're pretty much an exclusive Juniper shop, but are not biased in any
> way -- best tool for the job is what I've been tasked with to find.
>
> Keeping that in mind, how would something like a EX4550 fare in the
> role? Are there better devices in the same price range?
>
> Thanks!

Unless you need the old VC connections, you might consider the newer EX4600, which is 40x10GbE and 4x40GbE (versus 32x10GbE), at around the same price point. The 40GbE ports are used for stacking, so you don't have to add a VC card.

The newer platforms are going to get better long term software support, as well.

-Randy