Rasberry pi - high density

Eugeniu Patrascu eugen at imacandi.net
Sat May 9 19:26:37 UTC 2015

On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 9:55 PM, Barry Shein <bzs at world.std.com> wrote:

> On May 9, 2015 at 00:24 charles at thefnf.org (charles at thefnf.org) wrote:
>  >
>  > So I just crunched the numbers. How many pies could I cram in a rack?
>
> For another list I just estimated how many M.2 SSD modules one could
> cram into a 3.5" disk case. Around 40 w/ some room to spare (assuming
> heat and connection routing aren't problems), at 500GB/each that's
> 20TB in a standard 3.5" case.
>
> It's getting weird out there.

I think the next logical step in servers would be to remove the traditional
hard drive cages and put SSD module slots that can be hot swapped. Imagine
inserting small SSD modules on the front side of the servers and directly
connect them via PCIe to the motherboard. No more bottlenecks and a
software RAID of some sorts would actually make a lot more sense than the
current controller based solutions.