Rasberry pi - high density

Rafael Possamai rafael at gav.ufsc.br
Sat May 9 13:29:25 UTC 2015

>From the work that I've done in the past with clusters, your need for
bandwidth is usually not the biggest issue. When you work with "big data",
let's say 500 million data points, most mathematicians would condense it
all down into averages, standard deviations, probabilities, etc, which then
become much smaller to save in your hard disks and also to perform data
analysis with, as well as transfer these stats from master to nodes and
vice-versa. So for one project at a time, your biggest concern is cpu
clock, ram, interrupts, etc. If you want to run all of the BIG 10s academic
projects into one big cluster for example, then networking might become an
issue solely due to volume.

The more data you transfer, the longer it would take to perform any
meaningful analysis on it, so really your bottleneck is TFLOPS rather than
packets per second. With Facebook it's the opposite, it's mostly pictures
and videos of cats coming in and out of the server with lots of reads and
writes on their storage. In that case, switching tbps of traffic is how
they make money.

A good example is creating a dockr container with your application and
deploying a cluster with CoreOS. You save all that capex and spend by the
hour. I believe Azure and EC2 already have support for CoreOS.