Huawei and ZTE Routers

Colton Conor colton.conor at gmail.com
Thu May 7 17:55:17 UTC 2015

The other thread about the Alcatel-Lucent routers has been pleasantly
delightful. Our organization used to believe that Juniper, Cisco, and
Brocade were the only true vendors for carrier grade routing, but now we
are going to throw Alcatel-Lucent into the mix.

ZTE and Huawei, the big chinese vendors, have also been mentioned to us. I
know there are large national security issues with using these vendors in
the US, but I know Level3 and other large American vendors use Huawei and
ZTE in their networks.

How do their products perform? How are they compared to Cisco and Juniper
on the performance side of the house? Is their pricing really half or less
of that of Cisco and Juniper? Is it worth using these vendors or not worth
the hassle?