Network Segmentation Approaches

nanog1 at roadrunner.com nanog1 at roadrunner.com
Tue May 5 02:55:43 UTC 2015

Possibly a bit off-topic, but curious how all of you out there segment
your networks.  Corporate/business users, dependent services, etc. from
critical data and/or processes with remote locations thrown in the mix
which could be mini-versions of your primary network.

There's quite a bit of literature out there on this, so have been
considering an approach with zones based on the types of data or
processes within them.  General thoughts:

- "Business Zone" - This would be where workstations live,
  web browsing occurs, VoIP and authentication services live too.
  Probably consider this a somewhat "dirty" zone, but I should
  generally be OK letting anything in this zone talk fairly unfettered
  to anything else in this zone (for example a business network at my
  HQ location should be able to talk unfettered to an equivalent
  network at a remote site).

  I'd probably have VoIP media servers in this zone, AD, DNS, etc.

- Some sort of management zone(z) - Maybe accessible only via jump host
  -- this zone gives "control" access into key resources (most likely
  IT resouces like network devices, storage devices, etc.).  Should
  have sound logging/auditing here to establish access patterns outsid
  the norm and perhaps multi-factor authentication (and of course
  FW's).

- Secure Zone(s) - Important data sets or services can be isolated from
  untrusted zones here.  May need separate services (DNS, AD, etc.)

- I should think carefully about where I stick stateful FW's --
  especially on my internal networks.  Risk of DoS'ing myself is high.

Presumably I should never allow *outbound* connectivity from a more
secure zone to a less secure zone, and inbound connectivity should be
carefully monitored for unusual access patterns.

Perhaps some of you have some fairly simple rules of thumb that could
be built off of?  I'm especially interested to hear how VoIP/RTP
traffic is handled between subnets/remote sites within a "Business
Zone".  I'm loathe to put a FW between these segments as it will
put VoIP performance at risk (maybe QoS on FW's can be pretty good),
but maybe some sort of passive monitoring would make sense.

(Yes, I've also read the famous thread on stateful firewalls[1]).

Thanks!

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/fvordsbnuc74fuu2#query:+page:1+mid:fvordsbnuc74fuu2+state:results