booster to gain distance above 60km

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 19:59:33 UTC 2015

Sorry I forgot to read you message properly. You are saying you want 8
channels - note this will give you twice as much insertion loss compared to
two channels and might tip the balance towards requiring amplification. You
should also ask Fiberstore for advice for which channels you choose, as
there might be a huge difference in loss.

You can not amplify the single fiber. The amplifier will not tolerate a
BIDI signal. You will therefore need to amplify each channel in separate
amplifiers and that becomes very expensive.

In theory the signal could be split using an optical circulator:
http://www.fiberstore.com/c/optical-circulator_1311 and then you could
amplify either RX or TX - probably you would want to amplify RX to sidestep
issues with feedback and reflections disturbing the amplifier. I never
tried this but I am very curious if it actually works...

Regards,

Baldur