Getting hit hard by CHINANET

Ca By cb.list6 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 14:55:31 UTC 2015

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 3:43 AM, Justin M. Streiner <streiner at cluebyfour.org
> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Mar 2015, Ca By wrote:
>
>  Having your upstream apply a permanent udp bw policer, say 5 or 10x busy
>> hour baseline, works well for this.
>>

> Many upstreams will not do that, particularly on a permanent basis.  They
> might do something temporarily to deal with an incident, but many of the
> bigger carriers probably wouldn't want to leave that in place permanently.
>
> jms

Mine Tier 1 up-streams are fine with it permanent. YMMV.  I did have to get
my account team involved, but from a technical perspective, a one line
policer (all UDP rate-limit to 10% of link speed) is not a technical
challenge, and the one-off config element is not overly burdensome.

Again, YMMV.  And, your frequency and impact of IPv4 UDP based attacks will
dictate your needs.

CB