BCOP appeals numbering scheme -- feedback requested

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Fri Mar 13 18:26:46 UTC 2015

The index scheme has worked very well with RFCs, and has the added advantage of their index numbers becoming handy memes. I strongly urge  Nanog to take advantage of the RFC system's success. There is no shortage of monotonically ascending integers :)

 -mel beckman

> On Mar 13, 2015, at 11:19 AM, "Rick Casarez" <rick.casarez at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I like the idea of an index better than the proposed numbering scheme.
>
> -------------------
> Cheers, Rick
>
> Experiences not things.

>>> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hello NANOGers,
>>>
>>> The  NANOG BCOP committee is currently considering strategies on how to
>> best create a numbering scheme for the BCOP appeals. As we all know, most
>> public technical references (IETF, etc) have numbers to clarify references.
>> The goal is for NANOG BCOPs to follow some sort of same style.
>>>
>>> The BCOP committee is looking for feedback and comments on this topic.
>>>
>>> Currently, the below numbering scheme is being considered:
>>>
>>> A proposed numbering scheme can be based on how the appeals appeals in
>> the BCOP topics are presented as shown below:
>>>
>>> http://bcop.nanog.org/index.php/Appeals
>>>
>>> In the above page, the idea is to introduce a 100-th range for each
>> category and as the BCOPs. This way a 100th number range generally
>> identifies each of the categories we currently have. An example is:
>>>
>>> BCP Range             Area of Practice
>>> 100 - 199             EBGPs
>>> 200 - 299             IGPs
>>> 300 - 399             Ethernet
>>> 400 - 499             Class of Service
>>> 500 - 599             Network Information Processing
>>> 600 - 699             Security
>>> 700 - 799             MPLS