Searching for a quote

Keith Medcalf kmedcalf at dessus.com
Fri Mar 13 05:25:58 UTC 2015

Robustness is desirable from a security perspective.  Failure to be liberal in what you accept and not being prepared to deal with malformed input leads to such wonders as the Microsoft bug that led to unexpected/malformed IP datagrams mishandled as "execute payload with system authority".  Rather than sloppiness you could also attribute the error to malice -- that it was injected at the specific request of certain government agencies, perhaps under threat, perhaps with just a wink and a nod ...

---
Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.  Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.  Sometimes theory and practice are combined:  nothing works and no one knows why.