distinguishing eBGP from show ip BGP

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Mar 11 19:50:04 UTC 2015

On 11/Mar/15 21:42, Reza Motamedi wrote:
> What I ultimately want to determine, is the location of the AS
> connection. I know for example the router is in, say LA. If hot potato
> lets me to send the packet to the neighbor AS then they have an AS
> connection in LA, right?
>
> Going back to my example does the fact that the entry does not have
> 'i' mean that I can send it to AS2828 on the next hop.

Yes - the route was not learned via iBGP; which means it was learned via
eBGP.

But that is just routing. It does not necessarily paint the forwarding
topology (remember, routing and forwarding are two different operations).

The next-hop may be local to "this router", but it could also be a
tunnel (which may be cold-potato forwarded before exiting the local AS),
or the eBGP session could be eBGP Multi-Hop.

Mark.