symmetric vs. asymmetric [was: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality]

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 16:56:00 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 8:39 AM, Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:
> On 04/03/2015 16:26, Dave Taht wrote:
>> A geeky household with dad doing skype, mom uploading to facebook, a
>> kid doing a game, and another kid doing netflix, however, is common.
>> And, it is truly amazing how many households have more than one device
>> per person nowadays.
>
> and $kid running a bittorrent hub, maxing out bandwidth in both directions.

Honestly, if you dramatically improve uplink and downlink latencies by
adopting fair queueing + aqm on the cpe and headend - even bittorrent
becomes a lot less of a problem. Home networks get slower, but not
unusable. Really thorough paper on this:

http://perso.telecom-paristech.fr/~drossi/paper/rossi14comnet-b.pdf

While I do have some detailed data on torrent's behavior under
fq_codel now, I haven't got it together enough to publish, (the above
work is lagging behind). These days I basically just say that stuff in
IW10 slow start (e.g. web traffic) punches (bittorrent) uTP traffic
(no IW10) aside, the FQ bits in fq_codel make everything else work
pretty well on low rate traffic like videoconferencing/voip/dns/web in
general, the aqm bits keep overall queue links low on any fat flows,
and the only major problem  remain is torrent using IW10 over tcp
inadvertently while competing with other single stream download/upload
traffic.

You get your edge device configured right, and you're golden, no
matter how many darn geeky kids you have.

http://burntchrome.blogspot.com/2014_05_01_archive.html

Admittedly a little classification can help, on torrent, and I
certainly regard the default number of peers (6-50) to be a bit much.

You don't need to "just believe" me, please feel free to try what is
in openwrt barrier breaker and chaos calmer. I never notice what the
kids are doing on my link anymore, nor do they notice me.

--
Dave Täht
Let's make wifi fast, less jittery and reliable again!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/TVX3o84jjmb