optical gear cooling requirements

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 01:52:44 UTC 2015

Alex,

Remember the Ascend MAX TNT and the sideways left-right airflow? The
preferred method of deployment was three tall in a two post rack, mid
mount. At the end of about the 10th row you could literally cook a steak
and subsequently burn out the gear beyond that point. We fashioned our own
dividers to keep airflow from forming a jet down the line via ACE hardware
angle brackets that we cored to EIA screw spec and sheets of 1/4"
plexiglass mounted between. Cheap as heck and worked like a champ. Airflow
redirection can work.

Building a plenum for this could be relatively cheap and easy with a small
amount of sheet metal and a pair of tin sheers. Don't forget the warranty;
I'd check for anything explicit around airflow.

Let us know what you do, love the innovation.

Best,

-M<