Symmetry, DSL, and all that

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Tue Mar 3 19:11:14 UTC 2015

On March 2, 2015 at 13:21 nanog at ics-il.net (Mike Hammett) wrote:
 > The most important point is yes, that no one cares. If people wanted it, it would be sold to them. End. of. story.

That presumes you can predict what will be sold tomorrow, which is
more what this discussion is about.

If people wanted smartphones in 2006 they would have been sold to
them, etc. Ooops, not really until the iphone launched in 2007. etc.

Besides, the comment presumes a competitive market which it isn't, in
almost all US markets last mile is a monopoly or very small N (like 2
or 3) oligopoly.

You can choose between asymmetric service from the CATV company OR
asymmetric service from your telco.

Aha, you apparently want asymmetric service! Well I suppose that's
settled!

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada