symmetric vs. asymmetric [was: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality]

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Tue Mar 3 08:52:38 UTC 2015

On 03/02/2015 09:14 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> Just tell that to your child that has to submit a assignment before
> midnight or get zero on 20% of the year's marks.  There are plenty
> of cases where uploads are time critical there are also time where
> it really doesn't matter.

That's what USB thumb drives and school/library computers are all about:
 if you don't have the moxie at home, find a better path.

Of course, if the kid planned better, s/he wouldn't be in photo-finish
hell.  (And I speak as someone who regularly crowded deadlines in school.)

More compelling is the argument of collaborative creation of PowerPoint
slide stacks with lots of graphic elements with a geographically
distributed group of people.  Particularly if any of the information in
the slides is company confidential.  Better upstream speeds will speed
the collaboration, particularly in the final stages.  Text is fast;
full-color graphics can be slow.