symmetric vs. asymmetric [was: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality]

Chuck Church chuckchurch at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 04:06:36 UTC 2015

	Since this has turned into a discussion on upload vs download speed, figured I'd throw in a point I haven't really brought up.  For the most part, uploading isn't really a time-sensitive activity to the general (as in 99% of the ) public.  Uploading a bunch of facebook photos, you hit upload, and then expect it to take x amount of time.  Could be 30 seconds, could be 30 minutes.  Everyone expects that wait.  Sending a large email attachment, you hit send, and then get back to doing something else.  There just aren't that many apps out there that have a dependence on time-sensitive upload performance.
	 On download, of course no wants to see buffering on their cat videos or watching Netflix.  Thus the high speed download.  Honesty, I'm willing to bet that even a random sampling of NANOG people would show their download data quantity to be 10x what their upload quantity is in a day.  For average users, probably much more than 10x.  Why some folks are insisting upload is vital just can't be true for normal home users.
	Those households trying to do 5 simultaneous Skype sessions aren't typical.

Chuck