Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Mon Mar 2 20:46:22 UTC 2015

 > Anything based on NNTP would be extremely asymmetric without significant
 > changes to the protocol or human behavior.
 >
 > We ran significant Usenet servers with binaries for nearly 20 years and
 > without for another 5 and the servers' traffic was heavily asymmetric.
 > On Mar 1, 2015 9:11 AM, "Miles Fidelman" <mfidelman at meetinghouse.net> wrote:

With all due respect it's like people act purposely obtuse just to
argue.

If you're a Usenet server (and most likely client) then it'll be
somewhat symmetric.

Depending on how many nodes you serve the bias could easily be towards
upload bandwidth as msgs come in once (ideally) but you flood them to
all the other servers you serve once per server, the entire traffic
goes out multiple times, plus or minus various optimizations like
"already have that msg" oh for the love of all that is good and holy
do I have to type the entire NNTP protocol spec in here just to make
sure there isn't some microscopic crack of light someone can use to
misinterpret and/or pick nits about???

What was the original question because I think this has degenerated
into just argumentativeness, we're on the verge of spelling and
grammar error flames.

I don't know how anyone who claims to have run Usenet servers couldn't
know all this, is it just trolling?

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada