Symmetry, DSL, and all that

Steve Clark sclark at netwolves.com
Mon Mar 2 19:37:04 UTC 2015

On 03/02/2015 02:19 PM, Naslund, Steve wrote:
>> The backend is still symmetric. It's still something like 1.25 gigs up and 2.5 gigs down. You can only beat that going to AE.
>>

> Truth is, once the user is achieving what they consider to be acceptable performance they don't care if it is symmetric or not.
>

>> Not a very informative discussion.
>>
>> Points of fact...
>>
> >From Verizon's January filings regarding 2014Q4:
>> 1. Verizon has about eight million FIOS customers.
>> 2. "Fifty-nine percent of FiOS consumer Internet customers subscribed to data speeds of at least 50Mbps, up from 46 percent one year earlier."
>>
> Eight million FIOS customers does not even come close to representing the bulk of users out there.  In fact, it does not even represent the majority of "high speed" customers out there.
>
> >From a Verizon press release last summer, all FIOS speeds are now symmetric.
>
> And no one cares.  I don't even see Verizon commercials crowing about how great it is to have symmetry.  If customers loved it that much don't you think they would market that way?
Hi Steve,

I live in the Tampa Bay area and I see Verizon commercial all the time where other ISP customers are complaining that theirs ISP take so long to upload pictures, backups, etc.
Plus there are commercial with people on an escalator where the up escalator is much slower than the down escalator and people are complaining up should be as fast as down.

Regards,
Steve

--
Stephen Clark