Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Mon Mar 2 15:28:15 UTC 2015

That's certainly true and why we watch the trends of usage very closely and
we project those terms into the future knowing that's imperfect.

What we won't do is build networks based purely on guesses.  We certainly
see demand for upstream capacity increasing for residential customers, but
that increase is slower than the increase in downstream demand growth.   In
all cases but pure greenfield situations the cost of deploying DSL or
DOCSIS is significant less than deploying fiber.  Even in greenfield
situations PON, which is a asynchronous itself, is much less expensive than
active Ethernet.

In short synchronous connections cost more to deploy.  Doing so without a
knowing if or when consumers will actually pay for synchronous connections
isn't something we're going to do.